Annette (アネット Anetto?) is a character in the Castlevania series. She is Richter Belmont's girlfriend. She made her debut as a supporting character in the 1993 NEC PC Engine game Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, reenacting this role in a few other games such as Castlevania: Dracula X, Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles and CR Pachinko Akumajō Dracula.
In some games, and depending on the actions taken by the player along their journey, she can also be fought as a boss.
In The Dracula X Chronicles remake of this game, this event is expanded in an early cutscene, where it is explained that Annette in particular was chosen by Dracula to be abducted due to her ties to the Belmont Clan, which he intended to exploit by turning her into a vampire.
- Main article: Carmilla
Renamed "Annet" in this game, if Richter fails to save her during his journey, once he reaches the top of the Clock Tower, a giant skull will appear from the sky and possess the hapless Annet before he can do anything to save her, transforming her into the vampire witch, Carmilla, and replacing Death as the boss of that level. While her appearance is similar to some extent to that from Rondo of Blood, her attacks are identical to those of Shaft in that same game.
It must be noted that Dracula X takes part in an alternate universe and the events that take place in this game are not part of the accepted canon of the original timeline. Despite this, this plot element was later reused in the remake of Rondo of Blood, Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles, although the form she takes if she is saved too late is changed to that of a Lesser Vampire instead.
- If Annette is rescued in Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles, this Lesser Vampire is moved from Stage 7 (replaced with Shaft's Ghost) to Stage 5', where she serves as the alternate boss and is not the vampirized Annette. It is possible she may be taking Annette's form in an attempt to psychologically torment Richter (as the Succubus did in Symphony of the Night, assuming Lisa's form to attack Alucard).
- Coincidentally, both Annette/Lesser Vampire and the Succubus/Lisa shared the same English voice actress, Jessica Straus.
- Her alternate appearance in the Monthly PC Engine strategy guide may be the basis or inspiration for her appearance in The Dracula X Chronicles.
- Her name is spelled as "Annet" in the North American instruction booklet of the Castlevania: Dracula X.
- Although she was referred to be Maria's sister in Dracula X, Koji Igarashi has confirmed that this game is not canon, and therefore this is not the case in Rondo of Blood and The Dracula X Chronicles.
- ↑ Castlevania: Rondo of Blood instruction booklet, p. 13.
- ↑ Akumajō Dracula XX: Holy Bible guide. Kodansha. 1995.
- ↑ Castlevania: Dracula X instruction booklet, p. 15.
|Castlevania: Dracula X|
|Richter Belmont - Annette - Maria - Dracula|
|Keruberosu - Myotia - Dyurahan - Minotaurusu - Ghost - Lypuston - Salamander - Carmilla - Death|
|Burning Town - Gate and Entrance to Evil Castle - Great Hall - Clock Tower - Count Dracula|
|Dungeon - Courtyard|
|Caves - Stage 5'|
|Divine Bloodlines - Dracula Music Collection|
|Bestiary - Inventory|