Annette (アネット Anetto?) is a supporting character in the Castlevania series. She is Richter Belmont's girlfriend. She made her debut in the 1993 NEC PC Engine game Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, reprising this role in a few other games such as Castlevania: Dracula X, Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles and CR Pachinko Akumajō Dracula.
In some games, and depending on the actions taken by the player along their journey, she can also be fought as a boss.
After being resurrected by the dark priest Shaft, Dracula's unholy army kidnaps several girls from nearby villages, including Annette, Maria, Tera and Iris. Annette was taken to the Clock Tower, where she was held prisoner.
In The Dracula X Chronicles remake of this game, this event is expanded in an early cutscene where it is explained that Annette in particular was chosen by Dracula to be abducted due to her ties to the Belmont Clan, which he intended to exploit by turning her into a vampire.
This is not the case in Rondo of Blood, however, where she's kept separated from the rest of the prisoners and taken to the castle's Clock Tower, presumably due to Dracula taking a special liking to her. At some point during the game, Dracula enters her chamber with the intention to feed on her, and proposes to give her eternal life in exchange and reign over the world together. Annette refuses and takes out a knife she had concealed, threatening to take her own life rather than becoming a savage creature. At that moment, Shaft enters the scene and informs the Count that intruders have entered the castle, to which Dracula has to immediately take his leave. In this scenario, Dracula never discovers Annette's ties with the Belmont Clan.
- Main article: Carmilla
Renamed "Annet" in this game. If Richter fails to save her during his journey, once he reaches the top of the Clock Tower, a giant skull will descend from the sky and possess the hapless Annet before he can do anything to save her, transforming her into the vampire witch Carmilla and replacing Death as the boss of that level. While Carmilla's appearance is similar to some extent to her Rondo of Blood incarnation, her attacks are almost identical to those of Shaft in that game.
It must be noted that Dracula X takes part in an alternate universe and that the events in that game are non-canonical to the original storyline. Despite this, this plot element was later reused in the Rondo of Blood remake, Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles, although the form she takes if she's saved too late is changed to that of a Lesser Vampire instead.
- In Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles, if Annette is rescued, the Lesser Vampire is moved from Stage 7 (replaced with Shaft's Ghost) to Stage 5', where she serves as the alternate boss and is not the vampirized Annette, but merely a generic female vampire. It's possible this vampiress may be taking Annette's form in an attempt to psychologically torment Richter (as the Succubus did in Symphony of the Night by assuming Lisa's form to attack Alucard).
- Coincidentally, both Annette/Lesser Vampire and the Succubus/Lisa shared the same English voice actress, Jessica Straus.
- Her alternate appearance in the Monthly PC Engine strategy guide may be the basis or inspiration for her appearance in The Dracula X Chronicles.
- Her name is spelled "Annet" in the North American instruction booklet of the Castlevania: Dracula X.
- Although she was referred to be Maria's sister in Dracula X, Koji Igarashi has confirmed that this game is not canon, and therefore this is not the case in Rondo of Blood and The Dracula X Chronicles, where they're only friends.
- ↑ Castlevania: Rondo of Blood instruction booklet, p. 13.
- ↑ Akumajō Dracula XX: Holy Bible guide. Kodansha. 1995.
- ↑ Castlevania: Dracula X instruction booklet, p. 15.
|Castlevania: Dracula X|
|Richter Belmont - Annette - Maria - Dracula|
|Keruberosu - Myotia - Dyurahan - Minotaurusu - Ghost - Lypuston - Salamander - Carmilla - Death|
|Burning Town - Gate and Entrance to Evil Castle - Great Hall - Clock Tower - Count Dracula|
|Dungeon - Courtyard|
|Caves - Stage 5'|
|Divine Bloodlines - Dracula Music Collection|
|Bestiary - Inventory|