- Note: Order of Shadows is considered to be a side story to the official canon, and therefore, is not part of IGA's official chronology.
The story takes place during the late 1600s. Desmond Belmont, heir to the legendary Vampire Killer whip, along with his two sisters, Zoe and Dolores, set off on a perilous journey to try to stop a mysterious cult known as The Order, which is planning to resurrect the evil Count Dracula.
Castlevania: Order of Shadows features 2D whipping action similar to other metroidvania-styled games of the series, being a platform video game featuring role playing elements. The protagonist, Desmond Belmont, wields the legendary Vampire Killer whip as his main weapon, with other unlockable whips and sub-weapons becoming available to him throughout the course of game. He can also level-up by earning experience points. Several battles against classic monsters are also present, such as those with Medusa and Dracula.
- Once normal mode is completed, "HARD MODE" and "CLASSIC MUSIC" become available in the selection screen.
- CLASSIC MUSIC offers the possibility of changing the game's default soundtrack for other classic tunes from the Castlevania franchise.
Originally, the story was going to be about a character named Gryph LaRue and his family of wizards and witches, although it was eventually modified and the protagonists replaced by members of the Belmont Clan, which has always been portrayed as a family of warriors. After the rewriting, the story became more similar to the traditional stories of the Castlevania saga, and made the protagonist, Desmond Belmont, handle a whip instead of an axe or a sword.
- Main article: Castlevania: Order of Shadows/Press releases
The music for Castlevania: Order of Shadows was composed by Vincent Diamante.
- Resting Again (Intro story)
- Title (Title screen)
- Order of Shadows (Stage 1 intermission)
- Daring Assault (Stage 1 the Mansion)
- The Encounter (Boss theme)
- Stage Clear
- Bloody Tears (Stage 2 Bat's Belfry - low road)
- Dancing the Stairs Away (Stage 2 Bat's Belfry - high road)
- Final Steps (Stage 2 intermission)
- Grounded Search (Stage 3 the Cave)
- Covering (Stage 4 Inner Sanctum)
- Headbutt (Rohan Krause fight)
- Trickle Flow (Rohan Krause defeated)
- Blood Fugue (Stage 5 Dracula's Keep)
- Not Where You Think (Dracula demo)
- Boring Heroes Life (Dracula fight)
- Resting Again (Reprise) (Dracula defeated)
- Blood Fugue (Reprise) (Ending)
- Approach (Credits)
- Player Dies
- Game Over
- This is the only game in the series whose title is exactly the same in Japan.
- A memory card icon based on Castlevania: Symphony of the Night appears as the icon on the bells.
- In Medusa's lair there's a statue of Simon Belmont, whose appearance is based on his sprite from Haunted Castle.
- The Gargoyle statue displayed at the top of Dracula's Tower is the same as Alucard's petrified statue sprite from Symphony of the Night.
- Castlevania (mobile) — A cell phone port of the original Castlevania, ported by the same team that created this game.
- Castlevania: Lament of Innocence — Although it takes place long after Lament of Innocence, Order of Shadows is heavily connected to this game. Also, Rinaldo Gandolfi, Giovanni's ancestor, first appeared in Lament of Innocence.