Cathedrals, Churches and Chapels (including Monasteries and Temples) are common environments in the Castlevania series. The nature of chapels varies, but almost always they are a part of Dracula's Castle. Who and what is worshiped in these places is debatable, considering that Dracula has renounced God and there's no mention of Satan within the main continuity.
An explanation to their frequent inclusion throughout the series could be as a form to represent a sacrilegious act by employing buildings that were once used to worship God, and which are now in a desecrated state and under the influence of evil. Places in which it doesn't matter the amount of religious imagery they may contain, if there's no God around or faith on him, they're just beautiful to look at, but nonetheless useless, trinkets.
Furthermore, in some games the ceremony that is held to resurrect Dracula takes place precisely inside a church, perhaps as a way to represent blasphemy, mocking God's name by bringing to life the ultimate evil inside what was once a holy place where people professed their beliefs.
The most common feature of chapel areas are stained-glass windows, which are featured in nearly every appearance of a chapel in the series. In addition, chapels may also feature massive bells, which players can often stand on top of to play a tune, and in late games, jump inside of to collect the Bell item.
Other features typical of chapels are large stairways and long vertical towers.
While Dracula's Castle is usually filled with monsters that have an affinity to darkness, enemies found in chapels are weak to it and strong to the Holy attribute. Here, it is common to encounter enemies such as the Amalaric Sniper, or ghostly enemies such as Ghost Dancers and Giant Ghosts.
- Castlevania — Stage 2
- Vampire Killer — Stage 2
- Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse — Warakiya
- Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge — Dracula's Castle Part 2
- Castlevania: Rondo of Blood — An Evil Prayer Summons Darkness
- Castlevania Chronicles — The Monastery, The Red-Brick Cathedral
- Castlevania: Symphony of the Night — Royal Chapel
- Castlevania Legends — The Cathedral
- Castlevania (N64) / Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness — Tower of Sorcery
- Castlevania: Circle of the Moon — Chapel Tower
- Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance — Chapel of Dissonance
- Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow — Chapel
- Castlevania: Lament of Innocence — House of Sacred Remains
- Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow — The Dark Chapel
- Castlevania: Curse of Darkness — Garibaldi Temple
- Castlevania: Order of Shadows — Inner Sanctum
- Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia — Ecclesia, Monastery, Oblivion Ridge
- Castlevania Judgment — Cathedral
- Akumajō Dracula: The Arcade — Stage 2
- Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth — Stage 4
- Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 — Cathedral