Charlotte Aulin (シャーロット・オーリン Shārotto Ōrin?) is a gifted young witch and a friend of Jonathan Morris since their childhood. She possesses formidable magical prowess and because of this, she is seen as the potential final weapon in the battle against Count Dracula.
As a child, Charlotte was raised alongside Jonathan Morris, who is blood-tied with the Belmont Clan. The two shared a strong, platonic friendship that continued well into their teens and possibly into their elder years.
In 1944, Charlotte successfully aided Jonathan in an effort to foil the plot to destroy humanity by the vampire artist Brauner and his twin vampire daughters, Stella and Loretta. The duo learned the truth about the twins' heritage during their quest and through the use of the Sanctuary Spell, restored their humanities.
Charlotte is a very talented witch, but she heavily relies on book information. She has a "matter of fact", know-it-all attitude, and takes a logical approach to everything. Despite being intelligent, Charlotte is a little too confident in her book smarts and gets surprised when faced by situations unlike anything she has read about before. She is also aware that she is an attractive lady and eventually can flaunt her own looks.
She talks a lot, and sticks her nose into others' business. She is incredibly sharp tongued, and dislikes when people treat her as a child. She can come off as overbearing, but she is also extremely strong willed and reliable.
Charlotte's main talent is the ability to use magic spells as instead of sub-weapons. Unlike Jonathan, she does not use Skill Points, but rather, by holding ↑ + Attack, she can channel her secondary ability after a short time. Each spell takes its own set amount of time to be conjured, although they can also be cast quickly for dealing minimal damage. If the second channeling bar is fully charged, that spell will become a more powerful variant and sometimes gain new effects. Her main melee means of attack are magic tomes, which summon forth weapons. She has the ability to switch places quickly with Jonathan or fight side-by-side with him.
Stat-wise, as a magician, her INT and Mind are far superior to Jonathan's, but her ATK and CON are also the lowest. She also has the highest LCK of the duo and her MP regeneration rate is three times faster than Jonathan's.
- Main article: Charlotte Aulin/Harmony of Despair
Charlotte no longer needs to charge her spells in this game. She gains more spells by blocking enemy attacks with her Book of Binding. This book is the only Tome she is able to use in the game, and levels up in strength with each spell she gains, including duplicates.
Portrait of Ruin
- Well, not bad, huh?
- Vincent, you're scaring me.
- Jonathan!! Stop treating me like a child!
- Oh, Vincent!
- You were asking for it!
Grimoire of Souls
- I'm Charlotte Aulin. Does the phrase "master of witchcraft" ring any bells?
- It seems you're all in trouble. Lucky you have me to help you.
- The pleasure is all mine, my beautiful Dhampir.
- Since when are you two so close! Goodness, I miss that rascal Jonathan.
- My childhood friend, and—in short—a pudding-headed fellow.
- Familiarity with death changes people. Maybe they wanted to believe in anything, even a devil.
- According to Koji Igarashi, Charlotte's family is somehow related to the Belnades Clan.
- A running gag in Portrait of Ruin is Charlotte frequently being referred to as a child, much to her dismay. The only person not to do this was Brauner.
- Charlotte's great magical powers have made her a possible "final weapon" in the fight against Dracula, hinting at a possible involvement in the Demon Castle War of 1999 (she would have been 71 at that time, though).
- Charlotte's given name may be taken from Charlotte Mathilda Blake Thornley. Thornley was the mother of Bram Stoker whose novel, Dracula, plays an integral role in the series timeline.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin instruction booklet, page 20.
- ↑ Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin instruction booklet, page 4.
- ↑ Theme in the DLC Music pack from Harmony of Despair.
- ↑ Nintendo Power Issue #204 (June 2006).
- Charlotte Aulin Fan Club on Fanpop
- Charlotte Aulin at the Castlevania Fan Wiki
- Konami E3 special site - Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
- Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls Walkthrough part 1 iOS
- Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls Walkthrough part 2 iOS
- Castlevania PoR Charlotte's funny comment (Jonathan is seduced by Astarte)