Charlotte Aulin (シャーロット・オーリン Shārotto Ōrin?) is a gifted, obdurate young witch and a close friend of Jonathan Morris since their childhood. She possesses formidable magical prowess and due to this, she was seen as the potential final weapon in the battle against Count Dracula.
Much like her ancestors, Charlotte is affiliated with the Church and can cast complex magical spells, including but not limited to shapeshifting herself and others into animals like an owl or a toad, which comes in handy when accessing out-of-reach sections.
As a child, Charlotte was raised alongside Jonathan Morris, who is blood-tied with the Belmont Clan. The two shared a strong, platonic friendship that continued well into their teens and possibly into their elder years.
In 1944, Charlotte successfully aided Jonathan in an effort to foil the plot to destroy humanity by the vampire artist Brauner and his twin vampire daughters, Stella and Loretta. The duo learned the truth about the twins' heritage during their quest and through the use of the Sanctuary Spell, restored their humanities.
Charlotte is a talented and bright sorceress, but she is heavily dependent on information found in books. She has a "matter of fact", know-it-all attitude, and takes a logical approach to every situation. Despite her intelligence, Charlotte is a little too confident in her book smarts. As a result, she is often taken by surprise when she encounters situations that differ from anything she has read about before. She is also aware that she is an attractive lady and evidently can flaunt her own looks; though this may be done for humorous sake, such as her hidden 'pose' in some games.
Charlotte talks a lot, and sticks her nose into others' business. She is incredibly sharp tongued, and dislikes receiving condescending treatment. For example, when people belittle her, she can become visibly irritated. She can come off as overbearing, but she is also extremely strong-willed and reliable, especially to her allies when fighting alongside them in combat.
Charlotte's main talent is the ability to use magic spells as opposed to sub-weapons. Unlike Jonathan, she does not use Skill Points, but rather, by holding ↑ + Attack, she can channel her secondary ability after a short time. Each spell takes its own set amount of time to be conjured, although they can also be cast quickly for dealing minimal damage. If the second channeling bar is fully charged, that spell will become a more powerful variant and sometimes gain new effects. Her main melee means of attack are magic tomes, which summon forth weapons. She has the ability to switch places quickly with Jonathan or fight side-by-side with him.
Stat-wise, as a sorceress, her INT and Mind are far superior to Jonathan's, but her ATK and CON are also the lowest. She also has the highest LCK of the duo and her MP regeneration rate is three times faster than Jonathan's, allowing her to cast magical spells more efficiently.
- Main article: Charlotte Aulin/Harmony of Despair
Charging spells are no longer necessary for Charlotte in this game, however, she must gain them by blocking enemy attacks with her Book of Binding. It is the only tome that she is able to equip in the game, and levels up in strength with each spell she gains, including duplicates.
Portrait of Ruin
- Well, not bad, huh?
- Vincent, you're scaring me.
- Jonathan!! Stop treating me like a child!
- Oh, Vincent!
- You were asking for it!
Grimoire of Souls
- I'm Charlotte Aulin. Does the phrase "master of witchcraft" ring any bells?
- It seems you're all in trouble. Lucky you have me to help you.
- Really? You don't know me? Adrian Fahrenheit Tepes doesn't know the name Charlotte Aulin?
- The pleasure is all mine, my beautiful Dhampir.
- Leave it to me.
- Well done.
- Since when are you two so close! Goodness, I miss that rascal Jonathan.
- My childhood friend, and—in short—a pudding-headed fellow.
- Familiarity with death changes people. Maybe they wanted to believe in anything, even a devil.
- We have to be careful as we proceed, too. The enemies are only getting stronger.
- How mature and collected. I would love to be like that one day...
- A love affair between legends... No one ever talked about this in the history books!
- We save Jonathan. We secure the Vital Soul and gain back control of the grimoire. Two birds, one stone.
- So Maria's a lady, and I'm not?
- Ecclesia... I don't recall that name in any literature-and I've read a library's worth of books.
- Glad to hear it. It feels awful, doesn't it? As though something is gnawing at your mind and body.
- According to Koji Igarashi, Charlotte's family is somehow related to the Belnades Clan.
- She was called "Charlotte Orlean" in early official information of the game before release.
- A running gag in Portrait of Ruin is Charlotte frequently being referred to as a child, much to her dismay. The only person not to do this was Brauner.
- Charlotte's great magical powers are seen as a potential "final weapon" in the fight against Dracula as told in the manual, this has leading fans to speculate her involvement in the Demon Castle War of 1999 (she would have been 71 at that time, though), yet it seems that this was instead referring to the final fight in Portrait of Ruin aiding Jonathan Morris, as Arikado in Grimoire of Souls does not recognize her, not even by name, discarding her active participation in 1999.
- Charlotte's given name may be taken from Charlotte Mathilda Blake Thornley. Thornley was the mother of Bram Stoker whose novel, Dracula, plays an integral role in the series timeline.
- Charlotte Aulin Fan Club on Fanpop
- Charlotte Aulin at the Castlevania Fan Wiki
- Konami E3 special site - Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
- Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls Walkthrough part 1 iOS
- Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls Walkthrough part 2 iOS
- Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls Walkthrough Part 3 iOS
- Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls walkthrough part 6 iOS
- Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls Walkthrough part 7 iOS
- Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls - Story Part 20
- Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls - Story Part 24
- Castlevania PoR Charlotte's funny comment (Jonathan is seduced by Astarte)
- Castlevania - Grimoire of Souls - Charlotte Gameplay
- Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls - Resume