Gesshi Hanafuuma (月士 華風魔 （げっし はなふうま） Hanafuuma Gesshi?) is a character in the Gradius spin-off game Otomedius Excellent. She is inspired by Getsu Fuma from the game Getsu Fūma Den, which is closely related to the Castlevania franchise. She's often seen with Kokoro Belmont in artworks. She's one of the starting characters in the game and a newcomer to the Otomedius series.
Hanafuuma is a bit clumsy and not very well used to most of the modern world, as well as its technology. After she finished the training from her clan, she entered as a new transfer student in St. Gradius Academy. She has now joined the Angel Squadron along with fellow transfer student Kokoro Belmont to help defeat the Bacterian Army. Through sheer willpower, she can unleash her powerful weaponry and skill.
- Gesshi is the first Otomedius character who is a samurai warrior by lineage, and has transferred into St. Gradius with Kokoro Belmont.
- Gesshi is the first Otomedius character whom her speaking language is native Japanese.
- Gesshi is the first squadron to have no options on her Riding Viper.
- The Riding Viper she has represents the Axelay fighter craft, with aesthetics calling back to her armor and the Getsu Fūma Den era.
- Gesshi is in Class 4-B along with Anoa and Tron.
- She is the first squadron member to hold a weapon on her person (katana), while Kokoro Belmont has a Vampire Killer-derivative whip.
- Gesshi's Platonic Break can be manifested in a flaming dragon, like one of the special attacks of the Trigon player ship, while Kokoro manifests her Platonic Break in the other special attack, here called the "Lightning Sword".
- Gesshi and Kokoro are teammates and their main outfits maintain accordingly to their themes.
- Her unique weapon Nen-Do-Ha is the first weapon name that has a Japanese / kanji language shown on the weapon's banner; it seems to resemble TwinBee's Triple Wave.
- Gesshi's DLC background themes are based from Getsu Fūma Den, like "GO Getsu Fuuma!!" and features the theme "Colony" from Axelay too, with arranges of "Unkai" and "Mother".
- Gesshi's DLC costume is her gym outfit, in which she is seen running during the credits.
- The exclusive missile weapon that comes with the gym outfit is the 2-Way Back missile.