An Item Crash, also known as Item Crush or Super Attack, is a recurring special attack featured in the Castlevania series in which the player character unleashes the hidden power of a sub-weapon. These kind of attacks were first introduced in Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, and since then have become a staple in the series. Performing an Item Crash costs many more Hearts than the normal sub-weapon's attack, but generally unleashes a devastating attack that may be capable of killing most if not all enemies onscreen or greatly diminish a boss's HP.
Game specific information
When the Heart indicator flashes green, the player has enough Hearts to perform an Item Crash using the designated button.
- Dagger: Thousand Edge - Richter throws a barrage of knives forward. Very useful against some standing bosses.
- Axe: Spiral Axe - Richter levitates into the air while axes rotate around him in a circle. The axes then fly out, damaging all enemies on screen. Mostly useless against bosses, but useful against normal enemies.
- Holy Water: Hydro Storm - Richter levitates into the air and a rain of holy water is summoned all over the screen, dealing damage to enemies and great damage to bosses. The rain will last a few seconds.
- Cross: Grand Cross - Richter levitates into the air and a giant crucifix is shown in the center of the screen, then it will fly upward, covering all the screen with its attack, before it vanishes.
- Magic Book: Richter throws a circle of Bible pages, which continuously spins and goes forward, damaging enemies in front of him.
- Pocket Watch: Richter summons twelve stars, with the same position of the twelve numbers of a clock, damaging all enemies near them. Good, but with a very high Heart cost.
- Key: Richter levitates into the air holding out the key, but nothing happens. He is still invincible during this time, though, and the key will damage enemies that touch it. If used on a moving platform, the player will surely fall down.
- No sub-weapon: Flame Whip - Richter levitates into the air, gaining fire powers into his body, then swings a longer, wider version of his whip, covered with flames. It lasts only for one attack.
- Red Bird: Summon Suzaku - The great bird Suzaku is summoned, picks up Maria and fires a shower of fireballs all over the screen in a similar way to Richter's Hydro Storm.
- Cat: Summon Byakko - A white tiger appears to pick up Maria and runs over an enemy on his level, damaging it.
- Dragon: Summon Seiryuu - A big dragon covers about all the screen, dealing big damage to all enemies. However, its Heart cost is very high.
- Tortoise: Summon Genbu - A big turtle will appear from the background, damaging all enemies on the screen.
- Songbook: Twelve musical notes will appear all over the screen and stay there for several seconds, dealing continuous damage to enemies that touch them before disappearing.
- Egg: Maria will drop an egg, which breaks open and a circle of birds emerges from it, with a red bird in the center of them. They will then fly off to one side of the screen, damaging all enemies in their path.
- Key: Maria just jumps, but nothing happens. It is not recommended to use it on a moving platform, as the player will surely fall down.
When the Heart indicator appears translucent, the player has enough Hearts to perform an Item Crash using the designated button.
- Dagger: Thousand Edge - Same as in Rondo of Blood. Richter throws a barrage of knives forward.
- Axe: Spiral Axe - Same as in Rondo of Blood. Richter levitates into the air while axes rotate around him in a circle. The axes then fly out, damaging all enemies on screen.
- Holy Water: Hydro Storm - Same as in Rondo of Blood, but with different animation effects. Richter levitates into the air, and a rain of holy water is summoned all over the screen, dealing damage to enemies and great damage to bosses. The rain will last a few seconds.
- Boomerang: Altered significantly from Rondo of Blood. A myriad of cross boomerangs will hurl through the air at various angles, damaging most things on the screen.
- Stopwatch: Altered from Rondo of Blood. A set of orbs will revolve around Richter while time is slowed and then burn up when time is up.
- Key: Same as in Rondo of Blood. Richter levitates into the air holding out the key while invulnerable, but nothing happens.
- No sub-weapon: Flame Whip - Same as Rondo of Blood. Richter levitates into the air, gaining fire powers into his body, then swings a longer, wider version of his whip, covered with flames. It lasts only for one attack.
Item Crashes are exclusive to Richter Belmont and, in Dracula X Chronicles, Maria Renard. When the Heart counter flashes green, the player can use an Item Crash using the same button as Alucard's backdash (default Triangle button).
- Knife: Thousand Edge - Richter throws knives forward in a continuous motion. These knives paralyze enemies upon impact and deal about 10 damage each. You can turn left or right while still throwing, but jumping ends the attack.
- Cross: Holy Cross - Richter accumulates energy, then he levitates into the air, covered with a large light beam, and giant crosses are summoned, from the floor to the air, to revolve around the beam which then spreads out dealing damages to all the screen.
- Agunea: Lightning Bolt - Richter punches the air and lightning spreads out from his fist, damaging all enemies on screen.
- Holy Water: Hydro Storm - Richter points into the air while shouting "HYDRO STORM!". A rain of holy water upon his enemies, dealing high amounts of damage to all enemies on-screen. This storm will move with Richter and dies out after several moments. This can also destroy candles and fake walls.
- Axe: Spiral Axe - Richter levitates into the air while axes rotate around him in a circle. The axes then fly out, damaging all enemies on screen.
- Bible: The Bible flies into the air and duplicates, like satellites, above and behind Richter. These rotate at a rapid pace forming a symbol in the air, which then blasts a rainbow-colored powerful beam straight ahead.
- Vibhuti: Richter points into the air and, from his finger, a cloudy eruption of white ashes damages anything unfortunate enough to be caught there.
- Stopwatch: Richter summons four clocks that do the same thing as the normal Stopwatch. When they end their countdown, each clock will fire a bolt of lightning straight ahead as they vanish.
- Rebound Stone: Richter points into the air and, from his finger, numerous stones are sent upward, damaging enemies above him. Once about 8 stones are accumulated in the same place, a flash will fill the screen, damaging all enemies.
- No sub-weapon: Flame Whip - Richter swings his arms, accumulating energy into his body and, for about 30 seconds, his Vampire Killer whip is enveloped with flame when he attacks (his body flashes red-orange during this time period). Besides a gain in damage, fire-element is added to his normal attacks.
Maria Renard (The Dracula X Chronicles)
- Cardinal: Summon Suzaku
- Dragon: Summon Seiryuu
- Cat: Summon Byakko
- Turtle: Summon Genbu
- Doll: Guardian Knuckle
- Empty: Nathan leaps into the air and summons 128 stars, each one as strong as a strike from his whip. This is the strongest Item Crush Nathan has. 100 Hearts.
- Knife: Thousand Edge - Nathan shoots 64 spears, an attack which is approximately as strong as 10% (22% in Shooter Mode) of his whip. He can switch his vision while continuing the Item Crush. During this period, he is invulnerable. 20 Hearts.
- Axe: Spiral Axe - Nathan leaps into the air and throws eight spinning axes, which is as strong as 79% (158% in Shooter Mode) of his whip. 8 Hearts.
- Holy Water: Hydro Storm - For 8.5 seconds, Nathan summons a rain of holy water which damages the enemy by 22% (39% in Shooter Mode) of his damage by whip. The rain hits all enemies approximately once every second. 20 Hearts.
- Crucifix: Holy Cross - Nathan leaps into the air and casts a pillar of light surrounded by spinning crosses. It damages the enemy at 100% (198% in Shooter Mode) of his damage by whip. 15 Hearts.
- Clock: Nathan summons four golden clocks which affect enemies more than a normal clock, and damages the enemy by throwing all clocks after the countdown reaches 0. The damage is as strong as Nathan's whip. 40 Hearts.
Some characters who may not have the ability to perform Item Crashes with other sub-weapons have, among their arsenal of available sub-weapons, one sub-weapon which will only perform an Item Crash. These are performed the same way a regular sub-weapon attack is performed if that character cannot do normal Item Crashes, or the same way as Item Crashes if they can. It is not possible to perform that sub-weapon's regular attack for those characters. These include:
- Alucard in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night: Cross (Holy Cross) - Identical to Richter's Item Crash and consumes an incredibly large amount of Hearts (100)
- Maria Renard in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (Dracula-X Chronicles-only): Doll (Guardian Knuckle) Similar to her special Guardian Fist move from Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
- Julius Belmont in Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow: Cross (Grand Cross) - A large cross appears behind Julius, damaging everything it touches.
- Julius Belmont in Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow: Cross (Grand Cross) - Same as his Aria of Sorrow Grand Cross.
|Item Data: Item Crash|
|Image||Name - Game
|Type / Users||Attributes / Consume||Statistics / Sell||Found||Notes|
Richter, Maria (DXC only)
|Sequence: [Crash] (default PS button is triangle)|
Effect: Perform item crash attack with currently equipped Sub-Weapon
|Item Crush attack is unleashed.||DSS Effect
|Consume: 4 MP + Hearts||Create: Pluto + Salamander
||Sequence: ↓ ←(→) ↑ + Attack|
Effect: Nathan unleashes his current sub-weapon's Item Crush.
- Richter (Dracula X Chronicles)
- Maria (The Dracula X Chronicles)
- Critical Art - Special attacks that consume magic that can be performed by primary weapons in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow and Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin.
- Dual Crush - High MP consuming powerful attacks that can be performed by two characters together in Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin and Castlevania: Harmony of Despair.
- Effect Orb System - Powerful sub-weapon attacks consuming more Hearts than normal when combined with an Orb in Castlevania: Lament of Innocence.
- Special Attacks and Mystical Attacks - Higher powered sub-weapon attacks in Castlevania: Bloodlines.
- Spell Fusion - Powerful sub-weapon attacks that consume MP instead of Hearts when combined with Spell Book in Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance.