Juste Belmont (ジュスト・ベルモンド Jusuto Berumondo?, Juste Belmondo) (/ /) is the main protagonist in Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance. He is part of the Belmont Clan as the grandson of Simon Belmont and the ancestor of Richter Belmont. Juste is considered powerful even among his family for his prodigious magical talent derived from the Belnades Clan.
After Simon's great effort fighting against Count Dracula, the long-hated Belmont family was reconciled with the residents. Simon was regarded as a life-saver, and people started to look upon him as a hero; little by little, the people started to gather around them. A village, therefore, was formed around the Belmonts. Juste would later grew up in this environment with his childhood friends Maxim Kischine and Lydie Erlanger.
Once every century, when Dracula resurrects, the power he has attracts all other monsters and evils, which all resurrect alongside him. It's the calling of the Belmont family to hunt all these monsters and hone their skills to prepare themselves for the fight against Dracula. Furthermore, Juste was tasked with hunting Dracula's body parts.
Maxim returns two years later from a training expedition, wounded and amnesiac, and claims that Lydie was kidnapped. Ignoring his bodily injuries, he leads Juste to the place where he believes Lydie is being held captive. Passing through thick fog, the two men happen upon a castle undocumented on any map. Not being able to continue, Maxim holds back in order to recover while Juste sets forth on his own. Chased inside by a giant undead knight, Juste has no other choice but to find Lydie with only his trustworthy Vampire Killer whip and a bracelet both he and Maxim share.
After journeying through Dracula's castle, Juste learns what truly happened during Maxim's training expedition. Maxim, wishing to prove he was stronger than Juste, had collected Dracula's remains, like Simon Belmont had done 50 years before. However, this plan backfired and Maxim ended up getting possessed by the dark influence of Dracula's remains.
Because of this, Maxim ended up developing a second personality — a dark Maxim — through which Dracula's will spoke, and Juste would meet in the Sky Walkway. This evil side of Maxim was the one who kidnapped Lydie and left Maxim with his amnesia so he could lead Juste to the castle. Another result of this divide was that the castle has been split as well: there were two castles, or rather two sides of the same castle, connected by portals, each representing one side of Maxim's mind as the castle's creator.
The player's actions and whether or not Juste was wearing both Maxim's and his own bracelets affected Maxim's fate, giving the player access to multiple endings.
- For some reason, things look a bit different than they did before...
- Whoa, what a nice room. Maybe a bit tasteless. Perhaps some furniture... Okay, I guess I'll try putting this down right here!
- Yes, I remember. The story of how my grandfather, Simon, gathered Dracula's remains and destroyed them to undo his curse.
- If true, Dracula's bodily remains may be giving rise to this castle...
- This is the same place I was before, but the aura about it has changed. Now I see. This is what Death meant when he said there were two castles.
- I-I got it. Once I've saved Lydie, I promise, I'll come back for you...
- Maxim was stronger than you are... I don't believe that you could have taken all that he was!
- Damn it all! Ultimately, I couldn't save Lydie or Maxim. All that remains to remember them by is this bracelet... I couldn't even protect those I love. I've failed as a Vampire Hunter! What on earth should I do with myself now...?
- Take it if you can... Do not underestimate the power of Belmont...
- I told you so. Do not underestimate the power of my bloodline!!
- Vile spawn of Maxim, you are not worthy of being my opponent.
- なに?! (nani?!) - What?!
- 燃えろ! (moero!) - Burn!
- 行け! (ike!) - Go!
- 滅せよ! (messeyo!) - Destroy!
- 出でよ! (ideyo!) - Come Forth!
- 凍れ! (koore!) - Freeze!
- サンダー! - Thunder!
- シールド! - Shield!
- 降臨せよ! (Kourin seyo!) - Descend!
- Juste means "righteous" in French.
- The fact that he's the only Belmont who has white hair and a very pale skin could be the result of him being an albino, a congenital disorder characterized by the complete or partial absence of pigment in the skin, hair and eyes; and also can be a reference to usual representations of characters in manga and anime where the white (白 shiro) hair is either used for an old person that has wisdom, a pure person that lacks connection with the physical world, or a character with special/magical abilities. This would also explain the white hair in Nathan, Soma and Hector's designs.
- Since he's the only Belmont descendant from Sypha that focuses more on magic than physical combat, unlike the rest of the Clan, the elemental Spell Books could be actually the same ones she used in Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse.
- Since Dracula Wraith was not the real Dracula, it makes Juste and Leon the only two playable Belmonts in the series who have not fought against Dracula. Juste nevertheless appeared in the Greatest Five special move from Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, even though Christopher Belmont battled Dracula two times and he was omitted for unknown reasons.
- Despite depictions of the Vampire Killer in official artworks being that of a leather whip, the in-game model and sound effects suggest he arrived to the castle with the whip fully upgraded in the Morning Star form.
- Since Juste is Simon's grandson and this game takes place 50 years after his deeds, it's implied that Juste is Richter's grandfather, as Harmony of Dissonance also takes place 50 years before Rondo of Blood.
- Juste is the only Belmont so far that has been shown using Familiars and summoning creatures to help him, thanks to the Summoning Tome.
- Juste Belmont at the Castlevania Fan Wiki
- Mr. P's Castlevania Realm's Juste Profile
- The Castlevania Dungeon's The Belmonts
- Forbidden Library's Juste Article
|Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance|
|Maxim Kischine • Lydie Erlanger • Merchant|
|Death • Dracula Wraith|
|Talos • Giant Bat • Living Armor • Skull Knight • Golem • Minotaur • Devil • Giant Merman • Max Slimer • Peeping Big • Legion (saint) • Shadow • Pazuzu • Minotaur Lv2 • Legion (corpse) • Cyclops|
|Entrance • Marble Corridor • The Wailing Way • Shrine of the Apostates • Room of Illusion • Castle Treasury • Skeleton Cave • Luminous Cavern • Chapel of Dissonance • Sky Walkway • Aqueduct of Dragons • Clock Tower • Castle Top Floor|
|Successor of Fate • Original Soundtrack CD|
|Bradygames guide • Futabasha guide • NTT Pub guide|
|Inventory • Bestiary • Maxim Mode • Voice Translations|