A Master tactician, he is revealed as one of the main antagonist of the game – and even series – as he manipulated Leon in order to enter in possession of the Crimson Stone. He is later known as Dracula.
In the world of knights who lacked education, Matthias was a genius tactician who was even called Cronqvist the Wise. Because Mathias's family had books recording secret arts transmitted orally concerning alchemy, a science that experiments with the arcane, Mathias himself had a detailed knowledge of alchemy. His beloved wife, Elisabetha, died from illness while he was on an expedition. Mathias was grief stricken and bedridden and Leon was forced to continue the campaigns without his friend. When Leon's beloved was kidnapped, Mathias told him that it was the doing of a vampire who had a castle in the east.
In fact, Mathias had deceived Leon. In deep mourning, Mathias devised a plan to take revenge on God for stealing Elisabetha by becoming a vampire and living eternally. He manipulated Leon, Rinaldo, Sara, even Walter and his monsters, in order to obtain a vampire's soul with the Crimson Stone, and he was reborn with it. He then offered Leon to join him and become immortal, because Leon suffered the same loss. Leon refused, with Matthias, while disappointed that Leon refused to see things his way, deciding to let his new henchman Death deal with Leon. Death was ultimately defeated, and had delivered a message to Matthias from Leon: Leon, as a result of Matthias's actions, had vowed that his clan would forever hunt him. As time went on, Mathias renamed himself Dracula, taken from the Romanian word "Dracul" meaning dragon and devil.
- The name "Mathias Cronqvist" may be a reference to Matthias Corvinus, King of Hungary from 1458 to 1490. Matthias Corvinus had Vlad III Drăculea as his vassal at times and once as a prisoner; this connection to the historical Dracula may have influenced the way Koji Igarashi chose to name his antagonist. His wife's name, Elisabetha, is a variation of Elizabeth, also the name of the real Matthias's wife.
- The reasons for Mathias's fall and metamorphosis seem to be strongly inspired by Francis Ford Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula film of 1992, which is based on Bram Stoker's novel Dracula. Both Mathias and Coppola's Dracula renounce God and seek and obtain immortality out of anger at the death of their wives. While Elisabetha Cronqvist does not commit suicide, she does pass away while Mathias is away 'fighting in God's name' (it has been proposed that this was during the First Crusade; however, this is not possible as according to the game's canon Elisabetha died in 1093, one year before the events of the game - Pope Urban did not call the First Crusade until the 27th of November, 1095). Furthermore, she shares the name of Dracula's wife in the film.
- Mathias's English voice actor, Crispin Freeman, provides the voice for Hector, main protagonist of Castlevania: Curse of Darkness.
- Julius Mode for Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, in the room where Soma Cruz is fought, there is a painting in the background that may have been intended to reference Mathias Cronqvist, who Soma technically acted as a reincarnation of. However, this is mere speculation.
- His surname, Cronqvist, is Swedish in origin and means "crown twig".
- It is revealed on the Japanese official site of Castlevania: Lament of Innocence that Mathias earned the title of "Count" in the Crusades, a fact that is later referenced on his new identity, Dracula.
- In a promotional artwork for Lament of Innocence, Mathias is seen holding Elisabetha's body in a similar manner to Dracula with Lisa in the Symphony of the Night prequel manga, foreshadowing Mathias' connection to Dracula.
|Castlevania: Lament of Innocence|
|Sara Trantoul • Rinaldo Gandolfi • Mathias Cronqvist|
|Joachim Armster • Walter Bernhard • Death|
|Elisabetha Cronqvist • Pumpkin|
|Undead Parasite • Golem • Succubus • Medusa • Joachim • Walter • Death|
|Flame Elemental • Frost Elemental • Thunder Elemental • Doppelganger • Forgotten One|
|Forest of Eternal Night • Castle Entrance • House of Sacred Remains • Anti-Soul Mysteries Lab • Ghostly Theatre • Dark Palace of Waterfalls|
Garden Forgotten by Time • Pagoda of the Misty Moon • Prison of Eternal Torture
|Castlevania: Lament of Innocence Original Soundtrack|
|Futabasha Guide • NTT Pub Guide • Shinkigensha Guide • BradyGames Guide|
|Bestiary • Inventory • Joachim Mode • Pumpkin Mode|