She is voiced by Yasmine Al Massri in the English version of the show.
Morana is the oldest from the Council of Sisters and she is probably thousands of years old. As a reminder of older times, she wears a kaunakes styled shawl, which could be a hint to her having Mesopotamian or Persian origin.
Morana's appearance is that of a woman of average height with darker features (with the exception of her eyes, which have a rather light blue hue), implying her to be of Middle Eastern/North African or South Asian descent. Like every other vampire in the animated series, she has pointed ears and sharp fangs. Morana has shoulder length hair that appears to be thick and wavy. She wears an ultramarine blue and white dress which she accompanies with a golden shawl. She also wears blue eyeshadow, golden earrings, and an ring on her right ear.
Morana is the chief administrator and organizer of Styria, running the kingdom while Carmilla is away. She is not afraid to share her honest advice with Carmilla. Morana is described as being highly cruel by Lenore; often using torture to get her way with enemies, or just for fun.
Being the one who keeps Styria running, Morana is in close correspondence with Carmilla. She was the first to embrace Carmilla's plan and helps to align Striga to it. Being focused on the present, Morana is Carmilla's prime agent in making her dreams a reality.
Morana works closely with Striga; the two keep the kingdom of Styria running. They have long been lovers and work exceptionally well together - combining solid plans, supporting each other and pushing each other to greater heights. As Striga makes a military strategy, Morana supports the plans with supply lines, currency and mercenaries. Morana is excited by the notion of building and running an empire with endless supplies of blood.
Powers and abilities
Brilliant Administrator: Morana knows all aspects of how a kingdom is run. She is well educated on how effective empires were run in the past and takes inspiration while planning Styria's growth.
- Master Accountant: Given her position as the main Administration Official of Styria, Morana is shown to be a highly skilled accountant and is implied to be the one in charge of the country's commerce, economy and wealth. This is seen during her conversation with Striga in acquiring more help for their endeavors via mercenaries, where Morana had already calculated the exact amount needed to bribe them to switch sides to instead help them instead of their enemy nations. Morana has also been the one implied to handle funding for Styria's armies and government and is responsible for allocating the needed funding for its day to day needs and activities.
- Katie Silvia, the character design supervisor for Season 3 described Morana's design:
- For Morana, I wanted her to look really out of time but also regal. Vampires wear more modern fashion than humans in Castlevania [Alucard invented the V-neck], so there's more room to play with clothing periods. Morana's the oldest, probably thousands of years old. Her shawl is a kaunake-type thing that she's either kept for thousands of years or adapted from something else as a reminder of older times, while her outfit top is more Elizabethan. Morana has modern makeup because she's an icon, and one of the biggest challenges was trying to do that eye makeup myself at 2 a.m. to test my abilities.
- Morana wears a ring on her ear based on the original Carmilla's mask (particularly, to its depiction in Castlevania II: Simon's Quest). Striga and Lenore wear one as well, although the former has it on her hair and the latter on her hand.
- Her name is possibly a reference to Marzanna, also known as "Morana" in some countries, the goddess of death and harvest in Slavic paganism.
- The Blood, Sweat and Vampires of Anime Castlevania - Katie Silvia, character design supervisor for Season 3, September 22, 2020.
- @NXOnNeltflix - Twitter, April 7, 2020.