Robert Carlyle, OBE is a Scottish film and television actor. He is known for a variety of roles including those in Hamish Macbeth, Trainspotting, The Full Monty, Angela's Ashes, The World is Not Enough, The 51st State, and 28 Weeks Later. He also portrayed Doctor Nicholas Rush in Stargate Universe and Rumplestiltskin (Mr. Gold) in Once Upon a Time.
- Robert Carlyle is one of the stars of ABC's Once Upon a Time, where he plays Mr. Gold, whose real identity is that of the mythical Rumpelstiltskin. Both characters are similar to Gabriel, in that they were both cursed with great dark power, were greatly feared by the people of their world, and both killed their own wives and lost their sons.
- In addition, both received their powers after being tricked by a man whose name began with a "Z"; Zobek for Gabriel and Zoso for Rumpelstiltskin.
- Robert Carlyle has also played Durza in the film and video game adaptations of the popular Eragon series. In it he plays a Shade, a creature similar to a vampire with powerful magic. Coincidentally, Durza, at least the book the film adapted, became a Shade for similar reasons as to why Gabriel Belmont became Dracula, with the only difference being that Durza became a shade by accident due to desiring vengeance regarding his mentor and father figure's demise, while Gabriel deliberately became Dracula in order to stop a worse demon.
- In a behind-the-scenes video for the video game, Carlyle reveals that he is a gamer himself, seen here.
- In an interview with Gametrailers, Carlyle revealed that he had always wanted to play the part of Dracula but had never acquired it because he wasn't "Dracula material", seen here.
- In an interview with Gameinformer, Carlyle admitted to being brought to tears by the part he was playing, and that Dracula intends to take Zobek's offer.